Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to school, and back out in the cold...

Hello All, 

Today was the first day of classes, it started off pretty early for me. After having most of my classes start at 11:30 during the Fall term, 8:30 & 9:30's every morning is going to be a little different. My sleep schedule was pretty odd last term, so perhaps having early classes will fix that. 

A lot of my friends go to their classes on the first day, and they come back half an hour into a two hour class, and they say the professor let them out after reviewing the course outline. Ah! I wish I had these professors, I had two full classes today. I'm not too upset about it though, I enjoyed the ones that I had. My day started off with GENV 2231, Intro to Cultural Geography with Dr. Huff. I had her last term for Human Geography, so I feel good about having her for this class. It looks pretty interesting, and correlates to my other Tues/Thursday class, Linguistics 3011, Language and Society. That also brings everything I've taken thus far at Mt. A, with regards to my major and minors, together. 

Ok, so aside from Academics, this term is going to be an exciting one! I am off to Honduras for reading week in late February! The Global Medical Brigades group on-campus has organized this trip, and there are close to 30 people going. We'll be doing lots of different things, both medical and non-medical in remote villages throughout Honduras. I am pretty excited for this trip, a great cause, and a really good group of people should make for a fun time. 
We had a group meeting tonight, and we had some group-bonding exercises. We laughed a lot, and I finally got to know everybody's names. 

Aside from that, my semester is going to be pretty standard, lots of work and probably a lot more time spent in the library this term than last. 

At the end of this term, I am off to Europe for a while!! More travels! I was accepted into a summer program there for Canadian students! I'll be living and going to school in Norther Germany, in a town called Kassel. My first assignment for the program is to find 6 or 7 places in the town and surrounding area that I would like to visit, and research them a bit. Eventually, I think we'll get to visit most of the places I've heard people talk about. The program fees also include a few trips to cultural hot-spots in Germany, like Berlin! I think it is going to be an amazing experience. 

Classes start on May 7th, so I will be flying into Germany some time the day before, or during the week before to get settled and maybe do some site-seeing. Ahh, so excited. It was a very German-Themed christmas because I got the acceptance e-mail about 2 weeks before christmas. I got a few books in german, some about Germany. But my favorite German themed gift was a Calendar, it has some pretty awesome pictures of so many different places all over Germany. I hope to get to see a few of them while I am there. 

Ok, enough about that. I am off to bed, early classes all this semester! I'll try and post again this week, but it is shaping up to be a busy one. 

Patrick 


No comments: