Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shiny Times

This weekend has been more eventful than others spent in Sackville.

Friday was such a nice day in Sackville that it seemed like everyone's boss said they could have the afternoon off...
If I'd had the afternoon off, I would have spent it sitting on my front porch, with a summer-themed drink in hand, and a good book. My friend Maggie probably would have driven through town and stopped off at my place with her mom. I probably would have shown them my place, and Maggie would have jumped at the chance to see anything that I bought while in Toronto. After that, a few friends would show up, we'd have some cold beer on the front porch, and just enjoy the afternoon sun while it lasted. That is what my Friday afternoon would have looked like if I'd had the time off...

Saturday was pretty fun, a group of us ended up going to the Beach after the Shinerama bottle drive. We'd planned to make our way to Shediac, but ended up at Silver Lake instead. It was a chill afternoon. Sarah and I took off to Moncton that evening to see BrĂ¼no. It was ridiculous, hilarious, and the best laugh I've had in a while. Beware though, it is pretty...interesting. If you're not a very open-minded person...stay away hahaha. It is rated the way it is for a reason.

Saturday night, 6 of us on the Shinerama team headed out for a Bar blitz. We went to the O2, a bar in Moncton, and we were fundraising from midnight until the bar closed. The bar-blitzing is a pretty itneresting way to raise money, we had buckets of candies and condoms, and we asked for a small donation, and people could take what they wanted. We raised over $450.00 in 2 hours. Shinerama is a fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis research. CF is the most common, fatal genetic disease affecting young Canadians today. For every year of fundraising that has happened, a year has been added to life expectancy of those who suffer from CF. It is a pretty shitty disease, that affects multiple organ groups in the body, mostly the lungs and digestive systems. Our school's goal is to raise $20, 000 this year, and the national goal is to raise over $1, 000, 000.
Mayme is our Shinerama chair, and has been doing a pretty amazing job so far organizing hte events on and around campus all summer, and planning for the fall Shine Day. I think we are well on our way to meeting the $20, 000 goal.

Today was just a day to recover from being out until 4am, I lounged in bed (my new bed!) and I got a fair amount of reading done. I don't know what I am going to do once I'm done this book, I don't think there is a 3rd to the series, at least not yet. Any suggestions?

Until next time,
Patrick

PS, this is the song I had to keep asking Sacha about, it was one of the last songs played at the 02 last night, we all had it stuck in our heads:

No comments: