Sunday, November 9, 2008

Oh, Hello there!

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Patrick Forestell and I am from Rothesay, New Brunswick. I am in my 2nd year at Mount Allison University, studying Arts, with a particular interest in German. It was a long and interesting summer, and I am so happy to be back at Mount A. I spent my summer in Whistler, British Columbia working as a front desk agent and concierge at a boutique hotel in the middle of the Village. I went out to BC by myself, and though I met up with some Mount A friends while I was there, being away from the East coast sure made me miss it, and all the people I made it through my first year with.

This is my 2nd year living in Mount A’s newest, and of course the best residence, Campbell Hall!!! It is an amazing place to live. I love the people, the North Side quad, and the facilities the house has to offer. We’ve all got pretty suite (haha) single rooms, and share a bathroom with only 1 other person!! We call the person we share the bathroom with a “Suite-Mate”. Campbell Hall is on the North Side of campus, which means all we have to do is walk across the quad and we’re in Meal Hall, it is nice not to have to walk too far when it rains, or even worse, when it snows. Last year we won House of the Year, and one of our Frosh, Sacha Nadeau, won frosh of the year. We were really spirited and we were always up for a cheer off in meal hall. Most of them we’d start, and finish.

Hmm, what else can I say...A lot of my time was spent at the Athletic Centre, in the pool with Mount A’s Varsity Swim Team up until a few weeks ago when I left the team to make some more time to study. I also got involved with a group that is new to campus this year, Global Medical Brigades. Global Medical Brigades is an international network of more than 50 university clubs and volunteer organizations that provide communities in developing nations with sustainable health care solutions. We are fundraising to go to Honduras for reading week, to volunteer at one of their clinics and to help with other infrastructure projects they’ve began. Living on campus has given me many opportunities to get involved, last year I sat on my House’s Council, as a Floor Representative. We planned our house parties, and coordinated the Campbell Cares campaign, our house’s community service campaign. We did everything from Coffee houses for the Retirement home, to making blankets for several Women and Children shelters around New Brunswick. I’m not too sure what we’ve got planned for this year, but I’m sure it will be fun!

Class-work and assignments are an ever present part of a Mount A student's life...of course I’ve got far too much procrastination to get to before any of that will get done, hahaha. I really do enjoy most of my classes though, my favorite this term is a German Culture class, Turn of the Century Vienna. The class is taught by Dr. Schelleberg, the head of the German Dept. If you ever get a chance to take a German language or culture class from her, do it. She makes things pretty interesting and is always willing to help you out with class work or understanding the readings. Human Geography is proving to be an interesting class too, it is a good mix of everything in one class; economics, geography, anthropology and even a bit of marketing.

Last year, I had the chance to be involved with the prospective students Facebook group, Mount Allison Class of 2012, which was lead by Sue Humphrey. This year I was given the chance to moderate the group myself! If you have any questions about Mount Allison, student life, academics, admissions inquiries, etc. send me an email at: plforestell@mta.ca or post a question on Mount Allison University Class of 2013’s Facebook wall:
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=28613011228

If you want to take a virtual tour of Mt. A, book a campus tour, or see what other student have to say about Mt. A, check out www.mymta.ca It is packed with information for prospective students, applications, etc.

Ok, so there is my plug for the website, tours and such.

Like I mentioned above, there is always a lot of work to get done, I say as I am sitting in the Library looking at a just started essay due pretty soon. I had best get back to that, as it seems like I've got a long night ahead of me. Night All!

No comments: